OK, so someone I follow posted this as a blog and now I am going to take that idea and post my own blog. Here Goes…
1) I have been on two mission trips. One to Barbados, where I helped build a school. And Belize, where we did multiple things. We built a church, had doctors and dentists that came and worked with VBS. I worked with VBS and the dentists. Being that I was out of the states, I didn’t have to have a license to pull teeth, so the dentist let me pull two. It was awesome!
2) My family moved a lot growing up. A few times we lived on hobby farms. We had goats multiple times and they were usually female and mostly pygmy goats. One time when I was about 4 or 5, we had a billy goat. One time I got two close to it and it bucked me in the gut. I never went near it again. It stunk anyway, so no big loss. I did enjoy the female goats a lot, as I think goats are adorable!
3) I have this weird quirk when I’m typing. If I make a mistake at the beginning of a sentence and notice it half way through, I delete the whole thing and rewrite it, instead of just using the mouse or arrows, to go up and correct it. I have no idea why I do this but I do. I thought of this one, as I did it in number 2 and thought someone might get a kick out of it. Maybe other’s do it too?
4) I was raised Seventh-day Adventist, and vegetarian. My junior and senior year, I went to a boarding school. I wanted to go Freshman year, but my mom wouldn’t let me. She didn’t think I was old enough, I couldn’t wait to get out of the house, so think I would have been fine. Growing up, I always questioned a lot of the beliefs of the SDA church. So left the church when I was about 20 or 21. I’ve tried a few different churches through the years and finally a couple of years ago, God showed me the church I attend now. It is a Disciples of Christ church. I love it!
5) I have my associates degree in Criminal Justice. I liked the idea of police force or detective, but when it came down to it, I decided social work or victim’s advocate would be more my type of work. Upon doing research on these jobs though, I realized I would need my bachelor’s degree. Once I was done with my associate’s degree, I was so burned out, I didn’t feel I would do a good job if I continued in school, so didn’t continue. So now I’m a caregiver at an assisted living facility, and not working in my field.
6) I have two younger brothers. B is about 4 years younger then me, and J is 15 years younger then me. I helped raise J and stepped in as the nurturing person in his life, since my mom isn’t. I believe he wouldn’t be as good off today if I hadn’t been his nurturing rock. When he was about 4, we both dressed up as pumpkins and I took him trick’r treating. Everyone thought I was his mom. I was a little embarrassed by that, but had a good time anyway. One of the worst days of my life was when I decided to move from WI to MI (same year I moved to OR, long story). The look on J’s face was horrible and I wanted to cry. Sometimes I still feel guilty for leaving him, but also know that I couldn’t put my life on hold and needed to find other options, then where I was at.
7) I have written a lot of poems and some short stories. I have written three children’s stories, though two are still in the process of editing and such. I have a couple good ideas for novels, though that’s as far as they have gotten. I also have a book started about my experiences of being hospitalized. None of these have been published because I’m too afraid to send them in. Not sure if I am more afraid of failure or success, but something keeps me from doing it.
8) I have met some famous people. I met a lot of famous people in the Adventist community. I have also met Suzanne Westenhoefer (lesbian comedian), and Aaron Tippin (country music). If I could meet anyone it would be Reba McEntire. She is someone I have looked up to since I was 13 and first heard her music. If I could, I would spend the day with her.
9) When I was in 8th grade, I started writing letters to celebrities. My first was Oprah Winfrey. I have also written to Jonathon Taylor Thomas, Laura Innes, Leeza Gibbons, Julianna Margulies, Reba McEntire, Suzanne Westenhoefer, George Clooney and there may be more I’m not thinking of. I wrote and asked for autographed pictures. George Clooney is the only one I didn’t receive a response from. And Suzanne Westenhoefer’s was the best because she personalized her photo to me.
10) When I was in 6th grade, I had a crush on my social studies teacher. I wrote him love notes and signed them anonymously. Then at one time, I gave him one about being picked on, on the bus or something. Still signed it anonymously but the guidance counselor called me to the office. Of course they probably recognized my handwriting, though it also seems like one of my friends ratted me out, but don’t remember that part for sure. All I know is I denied the letters, though they knew otherwise and the counselor told me if I had a problem I needed to come to her.
So this was a little harder then I thought. Some of these probably sound weird but they popped into my head.
Hope you enjoyed